Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Problem with Forever - Jennifer L. Armentrout

Published Date: May 17, 2016
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
Synopsis: For some people, silence is a weapon. For Mallory “Mouse” Dodge, it’s a shield. Growing up, she learned that the best way to survive was to say nothing. And even though it’s been four years since her nightmare ended, she’s beginning to worry that the fear that holds her back will last a lifetime.

Now, after years of homeschooling with loving adoptive parents, Mallory must face a new milestone—spending her senior year at public high school. But of all the terrifying and exhilarating scenarios she’s imagined, there’s one she never dreamed of—that she’d run into Rider Stark, the friend and protector she hasn’t seen since childhood, on her very first day.

It doesn’t take long for Mallory to realize that the connection she shared with Rider never really faded. Yet the deeper their bond grows, the more it becomes apparent that she’s not the only one grappling with the lingering scars from the past. And as she watches Rider’s life spiral out of control, Mallory faces a choice between staying silent and speaking out—for the people she loves, the life she wants, and the truths that need to be heard.


I try to hook people onto their book style/personality but I think that this is a book that everyone needs to read. Mainly because it brushes on such a sensitive topic that is not very well known to other people. It is sensitive and may trigger some alarms into the system. I teared throughout this book because it really did make me learn something about myself and others. I couldn't help my heart as it got torn into pieces throughout this book. 

Silence is often noted off as weird but to those who use it, it can be used as a shield and/or weapon. Mallory Dodge really makes your heart pound with the anxiety that she feels. Nightmares don't just end and they will continue to plague you. It is something that you will need to battle. She used her silence as her shield because she didn't want anyone or anything breaking that barrier. 

Tearful, heart-moving/melting/breaking, Jennifer L. Armentrout brings the story of a silent girl, a broken boy, and how everything can change in a single moment. 

You tore my heart to pieces all while making me fall in love with you as a writer. 

If you don't know Jen as a writer, you have too. She broaches on all topics from romance to contemporary to heart warming stories as well as hard to approach topics. Like this one. When you first meet Mallory Dodge and hear the horror stories of what she endured makes your heart break. The reunion of the characters, Mallory and Rider, your heart bursts. 

I told you that I was ready as soon as I heard Wendy Higgins say that this was heart breaking, warming, and everything. I knew that this book just had to be great. I feel as though my heart couldn't take anymore but damn, Jen. Everything just broke my heart. 

Expectations are a huge thing to hit on in this book. Why? Everyone holds these expectations for you, sometimes low, sometimes high. But you just have to break them down, which is what happened to Mallory, Rider, and all of the sub characters. 

This plot didn't necessarily hit home for me personally but it definitely could trigger some bad memories for others. I felt that this book ultimately opened my eyes to things that I didn't see before. So with a 5 out of 5 stars, I urge you all to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR