Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Cuckoo Song - Frances Hardinge

I think that the book was slightly confusing and very hard to get into in the beginning however, I give this book praise for some of the original ideas and giving me the funny goosebumps. Or elf-kisses as Jennifer L. Armentrout likes to call them. 

Just from reading the synopsis, I thought I figured out the book before I even read it but there were lots of turning points in this book. 

After reading this, I felt sorrow for Penelope Crescent because she was absolutely distraught. This book had me in a lot of emotions, mainly in tears from laughing. However, this book was definitely a creepy thriller. 

I definitely want to create a, well several lists about some of my favorite books within certain categories such as romance or thrillers. 

Published Date: May, 8, 2014
Genre: Fantasy/Horror/Thriller

Synopsis: The first things to shift were the doll's eyes, the beautiful grey-green glass eyes. Slowly they swivelled, until their gaze was resting on Triss's face. Then the tiny mouth moved, opened to speak. 

'What are you doing here?' It was uttered in tones of outrage and surprise, and in a voice as cold and musical as the clinking of cups. 'Who do you think you are? This is my family.'

When Triss wakes up after an accident, she knows that something is very wrong. She is insatiably hungry; her sister seems scared of her and her parents whisper behind closed doors. She looks through her diary to try to remember, but the pages have been ripped out.

Soon Triss discovers that what happened to her is more strange and terrible than she could ever have imagined, and that she is quite literally not herself. In a quest find the truth she must travel into the terrifying Underbelly of the city to meet a twisted architect who has dark designs on her family - before it's too late...
 


I rate this this a solid 4.3 stars out of 5 because I felt the book's story creepiness in my mind. Even the cover is horrifying and maybe it is because I am afraid of dolls whether it is Barbie or Raggedy Ann dolls, even porcelain dolls. 

I truly do love this book but it was abnormally long and easily could have been divided into two or three books. However, I did love the sweet ending. It was truly a thrilling novel. 

I just started reading the City of Bones by Cassandra Clare because it was recommended to me by my little cousin and I take this very seriously just because she is not big on reading. So if she likes a book series, it was be thrilling. 
Published Date: March 27, 2007
Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Synopsis: When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...  

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Let's see where Cassandra Clare and The Mortal Instruments series will take me. 

I also have started to read the last book in the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, Extras and the first book of the Beautiful Creatures series by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia. Right now, in transit is Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire and The Young Elites by Marie Lu. 

Thanks for reading awesome book nerds. See you on Friday and I will update you guys on how these books are going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR